Friday, March 2, 2012

Recent Recipes

I have been meaning to blog about some recent recipes that I have tried and since it is a Friday night and it is snowing inches upon inches, I have found a window of time. I have pinned my pins and now here I go...

Recipe #1: Clam, Chard, and Bacon Pizza


A week or so ago Stephen and I took a night off from the gym and made a fun dinner. I was flipping through a Bon Appetit and found this recipe for clam, chard, and bacon pizza. I love clams, so I was hooked. Of course, when I was at the grocery store trying buy all the ingredients, store #1 did not have Swiss chard and I had to go to grocery store #2. Additionally, I had a little bit of anxiety about cooking and eating Swiss chard--I never had done either. The Swiss chard cooked down like spinach and tasted perfect. In fact, I might need to make more foods with Swiss chard. The only other snafu I encountered was not having a cast-iron skillet (which I have since inherited). I simply put my pizza dough on a cookie sheet and half-baked it before the toppings. It was delicious and I am looking forward to making it again. Next time I can use my new skillet and maybe even make my own pizza dough. I will keep you posted. Either way, I recommend this recipe, it is simple and easy to follow.

Recipe #2 Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

My mom and I made these cupcakes last weekend when we were visiting my parents in Edgerton. I have not done a lot of baking so I was excited to have a co-chef as I tried my hand a new recipe. Plus, my mom has a Kitchenaid Mixer that makes cake batter and frosting nice and easy. These cupcakes have an Oreo cookie on the bottom, several Oreo cookies in the batter, and then the crumbles you see in the cream cheese frosting on the top of the cupcake. Needless to say, these are rich. I think it took more than a whole package of Oreos for one batch of 24 cupcakes.

The recipe is very easy to follow and I am even thinking of following the Annie-Eats blog. I am glad I got to bake these with my mom and I am thankful we were able to leave half the batch 60 miles away so I didn't eat them all. Also, thank you to the Fritz household for their supply of powdered sugar--one should always check all the ingredients before beginning to bake.

Now I am off to have someone else fry my some fish..yum!

2 comments:

  1. The clam, chard, and bacon pizza looks delicious! How unique. Probably a good way to introduce myself to Swiss Chard as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am going to make it again next week. It is delicious - and I am ready to cook more dishes with Swiss Chard.

    ReplyDelete