Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Mindy Kaling

Without a doubt, Mindy Kaling is making me happy this week. My husband and I have really enjoyed her show, The Mindy Project, on Tuesday nights. The show is smart and makes you laugh, what is better? Actually, there is something better. One of our good friends from college reminds us of the main character, Mindy (or does Mindy remind us of our friend?). Either way, this reinforces the depth of Mindy (the character, although I assume Mindy Kaling is very deep) and the great writing on the show! 

While my husband enjoys the more shocking moments of humor, mainly the eccentric nurse Morgan and his antics, I find enjoyment in pretty much everything Mindy says or does (or wears). At the risk of sounding like I am gushing, I will be more pointed in my analysis. Mindy often says out loud either (a) what I would be thinking in a situation or (b) what I have said in a similar situation. For example, in last night's episode Mindy over-explains why she will be attending a cocktail party by herself to her medical partners. The instance of justification is very comedic and also brings me to a place of catharsis because I have been in a similar situation.You can find out more about the show here.

At the recommendation of the aforementioned Mindy-like friend, I sought a copy of Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns). On Monday I picked up a copy from the library and have stayed up past my bedtime every day this week reading the book. It is not simply an autobiography or tell-all. The book is organized with thematic essays and vignettes, which makes it much more interesting. I could be finished but I continually laugh out loud and then force my husband to listen to me read a few lines out loud. (And it is so delicious that I don't want to read it too fast).

Perhaps I should have waited until I finished the book to blather with excitement, but I can't wait that long! So, the votes are in and overall, Mindy Kaling is making me happy this week. More coming on my verdict of the book...

Photo Courtesy of Google Books

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear your 'verdict' of the book. I've been on a humorous memoir kick lately, and this might be another one to add to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so enjoyable that I am trying to read it slowly. Last night I may or may not have woken Stephen up because I was shaking with laughter. So far, better than Bossypants (which I attribute to not being that much of a fan of 30 Rock).

      Delete
  2. Love the book! SO So good! I wrote about it on my blog too :) I also have her blog link on mine - take a look but it hasn't been updated in a while lol - I still love her - she is fab :)

    xo Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember that! I will have to check out her blog. Are you enjoying her show, as well?

      Delete