Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I am NOT writing a novel...

Well, I am not writing a novel, yet.

You may or may not know that November is National Novel Writing Month. NaNoWriMo, as it is colloquially typed, is an internet-based creative writing project. The project challenges participants to writer 50,000 words throughout the month of November. By registering on the official website, you get a support group, of sorts, that assists you in your writing project. Wikipedia also gives a nice history of the event.

During the past couple of years, I occasionally heard something about the event. This year, many of the accounts I follow on Twitter have been talking about the event. I decided to research it, especially after my undergrad creative writing professor signed up to participate. I thought that this project might get me into a writing groove.

For half a second, I considered signing up. Realistically, I have no idea what I want to write about or what kind of novel I want to write, or if I even want to write a novel. Even if I did know what I want to write about, I am enjoying being out of graduate school, living without deadlines. I don't think I want to begin to writing again with a massive deadline looming over me. Maybe I will try this next year (oh dear, what will next November look like for me?).

Instead, I will make my own little November writing project. Blog readers, if you are out there, hold me to this:

1. I will write a blog post a week (I should have 4-5 by the time December rolls around).
2. I will try to free write once a week
3. I will people-watch like crazy and start figuring out who/what I want to write about

Happy Writing and Happy NaNoWriMo!

No comments:

Post a Comment