Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day

It's the day after Valentine's Day and the candy heart dust has settled. Valentine's Day is not my favorite holiday - really, we don't get the day off of work. And I am not sure how I feel about the apparent gender roles that the day can reinforce. For example, my husband described picking out my card: "All the wife ones, they are about past fights or not living up to expectations. Give the husband some credit."

I do know that I love any holiday, or day, that encourages me to break from routine and really enjoy something or someone. I loved getting a bouquet of flowers from my 3 year old niece. I loved the texts and emails I exchanged with friends and family throughout the day - simple reminders of love. I definitely enjoyed the fact that it was our first married Valentine's Day and I savored every moment (and bite) of our dinner out. Dinner out on a Tuesday night is not a regular occurrence.

But while there was dinner out, dancing, and flowers, there was also pajamas and preparing for the next work day. Yes, it was just another Tuesday. But it was also Valentine's Day and a day to remember. Today is just another Wednesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment