Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ernest Hemingway

My two readers out there (I am estimating here), will have to forgive any typos or formatting errors. I am typing away on the iPad as my husband holds the computer hostage. I am long overdue for a post so I thought I would dive in and type.

I have been in a bit of a Ernest Hemingway mood. For those of you who know anything about my literary tastes, he is not my cup of tea. His buddy F. Scott is great, Hem, not so much. I picked up The Paris Wife  at the library not too long ago. It was a wonderful character development of Ernest Hemingway's first wife, Hadley Richardson. It grappled with issues of feminism before the character herself was aware she was grappling. Plus, it had all the romance of that living in Paris in the 1920s does.

So I came off my book high and re- watched Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris. The film is truly a pleasure to watch if you have any knowledge of the art and literature scene in the 1920s. Then I rode that high right back to the library and picked up For Whom the Bell Tolls. And now a week and three chapters later I am stuck. At first I was relieved the novel is not like The Old Man and the Sea. Now I wish I could fight the good fight.

So, do I keep fighting or give up. I have read the Italian to English version for middle schoolers of a few different Hemingway novels (think readers digest for language learners), the aforementioned good fight novel and a handful of short stories. There are so many books and such little time, so should I stick with Hem or move on like I have oh so many wives to get to?

No comments:

Post a Comment