Wednesday, December 4, 2013

This Carbonara Hit the Spot!

I know I owe my faithful reader (if there is more than one reader, let me know) a recap of vacation. I am still sorting through photos so a new favorite recipe will have to do.

Over Thanksgiving weekend we were gifted a flat of farm fresh eggs (my cousin has a chicken farm) and a slab of leftover to-die-for ham. After a nice scramble Sunday morning, I started thinking of what could be done to eat our 30+ eggs and not flirt with the cholesterol of someone twice 3x my age. Inspired by my ham, I found a healthy carbonara recipe online. How did people cook before Google?

I don't know about you, but I love carbonara but never get it in restuarants because of its gut-killing richness. Similarly, at home I often talk myself out of making recipes with both heavy cream and bacon. I'll include the link to the recipe, but I can almost re-type it by heart because it is SO SIMPLE.

Disclaimer: I do not really like peas outside of the pod but I decided to go with the recipe and give it a try. In my opinion, the other flavors drown out the peas and you get a bonus serving of vegetables.

Ingredients:

  • Frozen peas
  • Bacon (I used ham)
  • Pasta
  • Parmesan
  • Eggs
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Garlic cloves
How simple?! I'll give credit to the recipe here. I would also like to add that I was short on grease because I was frying up ham but the amount of reserved pasta water was way too much and made the sauce soupy. In the end, the recipe satisfied my craving for carbonara and I didn't feel to unhealthy afterward.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment