Friday, December 21, 2012

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"


“Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” is my favorite Christmas song. I don’t think there is a version I don’t like, but my favorite has to be James Taylor’s rendition, followed by a close-second with Judy Garland’s Meet Me in St. Louis version—it is the original, after all.


When looking up the history of the song (or using Wikipedia, you decide), I discovered that the song has often been called depressing and the lyrics have a changed a little bit over time. Garland’s version was recorded in 1944 and later Frank Sinatra’s slightly altered version was an extremely popular version. Right after the song was recorded in 1944 it was extremely popular among WWII soldiers, as you can imagine.

 I enjoy the song because it reminds me of the peace I aspire to at Christmas-time, as well as how much a year can bring. When I take stock of my life over the past year, it is amazing how things have changed and grown. If you just have a little patience, time can do so much good. And even if things aren’t the way you imagined, have a nice little holiday with those you hold dear and hope for the best.

So, have yourself a Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment