Friday, June 1, 2012

Kebabs

This week I was good at planning ahead and last night I made two dinners (kind of). It was a little too chilly for grilling, so we made fish in a bag in the oven. Overall, the recipe was delicious--essentially fish, zucchini, yellow squash, cherry tomatoes, and white wine. The challenge, however, was making the parchment bag. I am hoping for better luck next time--if it works, I share the recipe and a picture.

While I was waiting for my dinner to cook last night I whipped up a marinade and cut up some sirloin steak. My mom has made a wonderful marinade for years, so I took what I remembered from hers and combined it with a recipe I came across in Bon Appetit. Here it is:

Thinly sliced onion (technically about 6 scallions, but I only had a sweet white onion)
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. (packed) brown sugar
1 tsp hot pepper sauce (I used some tobasco)

I did not add anymore salt because soy sauce is pretty salty. I combined the ingredients in a gallon ziploc bag with bit size pieces of sirloin steak.

When we got home tonight after work, Stephen fired up our grill and I chopped some red and yellow peppers. Then we assembled our kebabs with the meat, peppers, cherry tomatoes, and pearl onions. One piece of advice: soak your pearl onions in water so they don't instantly flame once they are on the grill.

Here they are cooking:

Grilling and photography credits go to my husband, Stephen.
Along with a glass of wine and good company, it was the perfect Friday night dinner. Nutritious, delicious, and barely any work (or dishes).

No comments:

Post a Comment