Thursday, January 12, 2012

Downton Abbey

I have recently discovered Downton Abbey. I watched the last few episodes in Season 1 and I have the first episode of Season 2 saved on the DVR. I am husband-less on Sunday and am anticipating two hours of escape to WWI England.

This week I have been trying to get my Downtown Abbey fix without finding out what has happened in the first episode. I stumbled across this article by Julie Bosman from The New York Times about the increase in similar genre book sales related to the show. Not only do I love Julie Bosman (I no longer hear her weekly on my Times Book Review podcast), but the article satisfied my Downton Abbey fix for a bit.

Although I enjoyed the article, I am not sure I jump on a bandwagon so much so that it is all the reading material I consume. I have not been yearning to find out more about early 20th century England. For me, I enjoy being consumed by the world in the show without analyzing it too much. For further evidence, right now I am reading Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna and looking forward to The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Although, I must admit I turned the pages of Middlemarch the other night (for the British part) and looked at images of World War I fashion (for the time period). Needless to say, I am not looking for a corset to wear.

For your own Downton Abbey fix, here is a short clip and preview for the new season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment